The 2021 California gubernatorial recall election is an upcoming special election on whether to recall current California Governor, Gavin Newsom. This election is scheduled for September 14, 2021, with every registered and eligible voter set to receive a ballot at their address for the option to vote by mail starting August 16, 2021.
It is important to note that this is not a regular election, but rather a special election called by Secretary of State, Shirley Weber to help determine if Governor Newsom is to be recalled (removed) from office. There are only two questions on the ballot: should the governor be recalled? If he is recalled, who will replace him? In order for Governor Newsom to be recalled, over 50% of the voters have to answer “yes” to the first question and the person with the most votes on the second question will be named as the new California Governor. Watch the helpful video above to learn more. Remember, your vote is your voice and every voice counts, so please make sure you’re registered.
To vote in California you must be:
- A United States citizen and a resident of California,
- 18 years old or older on Election Day,
- Not currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State’s Voting Rights: Persons with a Criminal History), and
- Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court (for more information, please see Voting Rights: Persons Subject to Conservatorship).
Click HERE to access additional resources created by our partner, CaliforniaHealth+Advocates.
Q: How can I vote in this election?
A: All registered voters will receive mail-in ballots and you have three ways to vote!
- BY MAIL: Fill out your ballot, sign the back of the envelope and drop it in a mailbox near you by September 14, remember, you don’t need a stamp!
- DROP BALLOT OFF: Drop your ballot off at any voting location in Alameda County by September 14, 8pm. Find your location HERE.
- IN PERSON: Find your in person voting location HERE.
Q: Can I Register on Election Day?
A: Yes! Same Day Voter Registration is a safety net for Californians who miss the voter registration deadline. Learn more HERE.