The Trump administration announced September 5th that it is ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, an Obama-era program protecting 800,000 young undocumented immigrants from being deported (200,000 in California).
DACA recipients are our patients and work beside us every day, boosting the healthcare workforce and helping patients receive culturally and linguistically appropriate care. We only have 6 months to #DefendDACA
- Sign a petition: The National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is asking us to sign a petition calling on Congress to pass the 2017 Dream Act. Once you’ve signed, use the social media tools to share your action.
- Post on social media: Post your support of the DACA program on Facebook and Twitter and be sure to include the hashtags: #DefendDACA & #HeretoStay
- Attend a local event: Click to find an event near you.
- Identify patients, providers and staff willing to speak on DACA
- Leave a comment here to let the president know how much you disagree with his decision to end DACA.
Here are some additional resources:
- Follow NILC: For more information on the DACA and to stay current on news, refer to the National Immigration Law Center (NILC) website and social channels. Find resources about the White House decision and about the Dream Act
- Immigrant Resources Page: Be sure to check out CaliforniaHeatlh+ Advocates Immigrant Resources Page.
- Interested in the Congressional politics? Read more here.